Monday, March 19, 2012

What works?

Hi blogoshere,

I'd like to open up a discussion about what works and what doesn't? What part of your personal marketing has yielded results, and what part hasn't?

This occurred to me as I was signing up for yet another class. From my viewpoint, if you want to get into episodic TV, and either your agent isn't getting you the appointments, or you have no agent - then paying $100 to meet the casting director directly seems like a smart move. But, does it work?

So, who can leave a comment of a specific example of that happening? Please feel free to be anoymous (there's an option for that in the comments section.)

And what else works?

-A mass mailing of Voice Over demos?
-A mass mailing to commercial agents?
-A mass mailing to legit agents?
-Maintenance postcards - every 4 to 6 weeks?
-Making a kickass website?
-Looking for work through Twitter?
-Looking for work through Backstage?
-Looking for work through Actors Access?

As a marketing coach, I suggest these things all the time - you have to have some plan - but what works? I can guess based on the results of my clients, but I'd like to know what other people have learned.
Thanks!
Guy

2 comments:

  1. Mass mailings and casting seminars for me, have not worked 99% of the time. I DID actually get an agent years ago because the role I mentioned on my postcard was the same role that came through the breakdowns that morning (different company) and so the agent called me in.
    What does work for me is Backstage.com (daily emails) and being listed on every other casting website possible. I have a website with every tool I could need, and I can put myself on tape when asked. And of course...I create a ton of my own work and opportunities. And yes! Facebook, twitter, etc have helped me cast roles, get crew, meet like minded people and keep up with past cohorts. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Tamar - daily Backstage! I have been finding it less and less useful. I've gone down to checking it once a week. Interesting.

    For me the maintanence postcard (every 4 to 6 weeks) is the number one tool.

    And I'm sick of paying for casting director classes, but I don't see a way out of it - when I really want tv and film work.

    Thanks for chiming in.

    ReplyDelete