Monday, March 5, 2012

Save $1400! by joining AFTRA

There is a lot of information out there about the SAG-AFTRA merger. (I voted yes!) [ I can see both sides, but for me, the number one reason to vote yes is because it seems like it'll be easier for me to have health insurance more often. That's important.]

But, there is one nice little loophole that keeps on popping up. You probably know that it's tough to join SAG when you want. You the most common ways to qualify for membership are to book a SAG role, or to get upgraded to SAG extra jobs 3 times. On the east coast, my advice is still - DON'T JOIN SAG UNTIL YOU HAVE TO. But on the West coast, rumor has it you're nobody until you have a SAG card.

And getting a SAG card is expensive! When I joined it was $2400. After the merger it'll be $3000!

Anyone can join AFTRA, right? You just walk in and pay your $1600. BOOM - you're AFTRA!

AND, after the merger, any AFTRA member will be given the free option of becoming a merged SAG-AFTRA member. No additional cost.

So, if you are dying to go SAG, or if you're on the verge and it's inevitable... why not join AFTRA soon (before the end of March, is the rumored cutoff) and save yourself $1400!?

I went through the booklet of information about the merger, and this was not spelled out specifically. (Duh, they want your whole $3000!) But, I think this is true.

If you're on of the people who would benefit form this, do yourself a favor, call AFTRA, find out the details and JOIN.

The easiest way to be an Actor Who Makes Money is to be an Actor Who Saves Money!

And let me know if you've done this - I'm sure my blog and twitter followers would love to know!

3 comments:

  1. Excellent advice! I'm all 3, but I would totally do that if I was in that position. Actually, I did join AFTRA asap to make it easier to join SAG someday...just took awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what's going to happen to non-SAG New York. There's a ton of work non-SAG out there, and all of AFTRA actors will all of the sudden be SAG-Aftra, leaving very little competition in the non-union commercial world. Maybe staying non-union (at least for a while) is smart.
    Food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got a note from an actor. (4/4/12) They're on to us. Now that the merge is officially on its way - you can't join AFTRA with the hope of cheaply getting into SAG-AFTRA. the new initiation fee is $3099.
      Youch.

      Delete