Friday, January 20, 2012

8 reasons to keep an audition log


I love a good spreadsheet. I really, really do. I like lists. I like statistics. I like charts.

I've been keeping an audition log since my New York first audition over 10 years ago. (I've been on 1807 auditions; thanks for asking.) I remember in the beginning feeling not-even-a-little control over my career. I had big plans, and NO IDEA to how to accomplish them. But I did know one thing:

You can't know where you're going unless you know where you've been.

You can buy a log book at Drama Book Shop, or online, and fill it in; that's a good start. Check out:
Sandra De Bruin's book. You can fill this up in year, if you're working hard.
Or just buy a nice, empty book from the gift section at a book store, and fill it in.

Here's the information you'll want to keep:

Audition #:
Date:
Project:
Medium (Theatre / film / voiceover etc.):
Submitted by:
Material performed:
Wardrobe:
Did I get a callback?:
Did I book it?:
Who did I meet?

Notes:
•If you've met a casting director or assistant for the first time - get them on your maintenance mailing list.
•Send a thank you note if it's a first meeting, or if the casting director really went out of his/her way to help you.

I can go on and on about why an audition log is important. Let me name a few reasons why:

1 -You will forget names if you don't write them down.
2 - Casting directors are taking notes on you. You may walk into a room and be a familiar face to them. Wouldn't it be great if you knew why?
3 - Keeping count is motivation. Can I hit 100 auditions by the end of the year?
4 - If an agent with whom you are freelancing wants to sign you, you'll need to know how often they send you out. Should you sign?
5 - I always advise staying in the waiting room for a minute or two after the audition. To avoid awkwardness, fill in your audition log.
6 - For theatre auditions you may want to wear the same clothes. Now you have a record.
7 - If you've sung a song or a performed a monologue for a casting director, and they didn't care for it, if you keep records, you can know not to use that material again.
And finally:
8 - When you plan for how to improve your career, you have tangible data about what is working and what isn't.

An audition log should be in every actors toolkit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment