Friday, January 13, 2012

Too fat for showbiz?


I have never struggled so much with a blog post. Ever.


I wanted to write about the importance of actors getting into good shape.


So, one perspective is: Get in amazing shape, whether you like it or not – there are more roles for people who look great in their underwear.


Another perspective is: Be healthy, but be you. If going to the gym 5 times a week, makes you miserable, go once. Being yourself is the most important thing.


I recently took a class with James Calleri, the casting director, and we were required to read his book. It has a shockingly blunt section on why an actor needs to have a great body. And he knows! Being a hotty means you’re more castable.


So get in great shape, right? What’s the downside?


Anorexia, bulimia, paranoia, feeling bad about your body every time you fall short of looking perfect.


I’m a coach; I’m supposed to advise people on what they can do to get more work. I’m supposed to tell them how to make money as an actor. But, I hesitate to tell people to get P90X and shut up with the complaining already.


I myself, as the actor, have struggles with body issues. I was once told by a major agent, “Get four new front teeth and hair plugs, and I’d love to work with you… here’s a number of a great hair guy in Canada.” This was one of my hardest moments in showbiz-one of the moments when I almost quit. I thought to myself: If this is the level of scrutiny I’m going to face everyday until I die… is it worth it?


I didn’t get the hairplugs. But 7 years later, I got the new teeth.


I was taking a class with a major casting director who pulled me over after class and said, “I would only tell you this if I thought you were close, and you ARE CLOSE… Get some new teeth and you’ll start booking work.” I spent $2000 on veneers, and booked my first commercial that month. I credit this thoughtful casting director for really helping me.


I have struggled with my weight for my entire life. I’m not fat, by normal standards, but sometime I feel “showbiz obese.” I have to take my shirt off at 3 or 4 auditions a year, and each time, it kills me. I’m healthy: I do cardio, but I’m not a hotty, and my average body has kept me from a lot of auditions.


But, there comes a day when you make peace with it…. And then you have to take your shirt off for a Disney commercial audition, and you get ground into the ground again.


I not going to give you advice on this matter – it’s too personal. But, be aware that being a human being means people are going to judge you based on your looks, but being an actor means people are going to judge you on your looks more, and you’re going to hear about it loudly, and it’s going to make your crazy sometimes.


In summary:


Be healthy. If you want new boobs, get them, but be safe. Have cake on your birthday!

And, if you want to be a hotty to get work – that’ll work too.

3 comments:

  1. Great post, but I disagree with one point. I think you ARE a hottie. I know, you weren't fishing for a compliment. But it had to be said. AND, if you weren't, NO ONE would be asking you to take your shirt off for ANY auditions. So there.
    Also, I took a master class once with Patricia Clarkson. Beautiful, but doesn't play the young, sexy type. She said no matter what type you are, you HAVE to be the most in shape you can be. That means even if you play the chubby hubby or the jolly best friend, you still want to be healthy, wear nice clothes, take care of your hair, mind, body, and spirit. And I'm sure Patty looks good in a bikini when she has to. FYI.
    Thanks Guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point Tamar! That actually is a great button to the conversation. (And thanks for the compliment in there, too...)
    I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks. G

    ReplyDelete