Sunday, November 27, 2011

It's okay to quit!

In the years that I've been a New York Actor, I've done a large variety of work. I've been paid well at times, but I've often done stuff for nothing (or next-to-nothing) for the opportunity to do something fun and artistic, or to network.

The longer I've been in the game, the LESS I like to work for free. That makes sense right?




I made a decision a few years ago about working for free, that has saved me some time, some money, and heaps of sanity:

IT'S OKAY TO QUIT!


I pride myself on being a man of my word; when I commit to something, I follow it through, and I would never leave a project in the lurch - but it has to be worth my time, to work for free.

I will quit a non-paying job if:
-If I get the script, and it's terrible.
-If I meet my co-star at the read-through, and he/she is terrible.
-If my first impression of the director is that he/she is an idiot.
-If, when I ask for a detailed schedule up front, that it becomes clear that they won't use my time efficiently.
-If something gives me the willies about it.

I will not quit:
-Once the project is underway, and replacing me is impossible.


Three thoughts:

1- I get treated better when I make demands at the get-go. Nothing crazy, but just: What is the schedule? Can I read the entire script before I decide? Can you accommodate all of my conflicts? What is the pay, really?
When you take your business seriously, you are taken seriously as a business(wo)man.

2- I have avoided some CRAP!

3- Now when I choose to work for free, I always enjoy it.


What do you think?

1 comment: