Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Commercial Environment 2012

I was chatting with a friend/client of mine about commercials the other day.  The tweeted me to ask if I'd blog about the commercial environment these days in NYC, especially in reference to the non-union / union issue.


I'd love to start a dialogue with you, beloved readers, and get your opinion.  Are you auditioning for commercials?  Are there still as many as there once were?  Are you union/non-union?  Do you see one as better these days?

Here's what I can add to the discussion... a jumping off point!

I don't have any numbers to back this up, but from my experience, and from what I've heard on the ground, we're about 50/50.  Half of the auditions are for union commercials, and half are for non-union.  As usual, the money is in union commercials!  But, people are pulling together a living just doing non-union as well.

I always advice actors to stay non-union as long as they can.
•Legit casting directors don't seem to care if there's a SAG-AFTRA on your resume.
•Once you go union, you will be going on many fewer auditions unless you have a STRONG commercial agent, who really believes in you.
•While non-union, you can learn the skills needed in a much less intense environment, and you're auditioning for the same casting directors as the union guys.  Building relationships is the name of the game.

But, while non-union, you may not be making the money you want.  One solid SAG-AFTRA job can pay as much as 20 non-union commercials.

One thing I'd like to note is that the merger has changed the environment a little.  Many non-union actors who were AFTRA got sucked up into the SAG-AFTRA union at the merger.  So, non-union commercial agents were finding new actors in droves.  Consequently, the non-union auditions were full of newbies, and the seasoned non-union actors who remained non-union (or fi-core) rose right to the top of the pecking order for work.  If you don't have an agent at all - this is your time; you're in demand!

Has this been anyone else's experience?

Not much else has changed, to my eyes.

So how about this question/conundrum?  If you're a very busy non-union actor, and you're auditioning 5-10 times a week, what do you do when you HAVE to join the union, or a big agency wants to sign you exclusively (for union jobs only)?
It would be hard to say no to Abrams or CESD, but is that the smart move?

I'd love to hear what you think.  Tweet me @AWMMGUY or leave a comment below.

3 comments:

  1. I think it would be hard to say "no" to a major, union accredited agency, however, won't the benefits ultimately outweigh the negatives. Sure getting out of the non-union game will cause a dip in auditions, bookings, and money at first, but over time I think one could build back up to that level within the union.

    To me, getting in to more union auditions is a step up the ladder and if that means I have to give up my non-union money to do so, so be it.

    I do have friends who are fi-core and have told me that they could not wait around for the union work to come in so they had to go back to doing non-union. I am not saying that is a bad thing, it is a personal decision that one has to make about their own career and fiancees. For me, getting into union auditions and being signed with a union agent is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, you have to play big to win big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this post, big fan. Keep up the good work andplease tell me when can you publish more articles or where can I read more on the subject? 維修雪櫃

    ReplyDelete