Tuesday, September 6, 2011

NICE!


1 - If you only have one headshot, it should probably be one with a smile. You only get one first impression. Don't you want to look like a NICE person?

2 - If you can only do one monologue, choose a funny one. It's tough to look at a person who leads with a monologue about rape, or Hurricane Katrina, and say, "Yes, she seems pleasant and NICE - I'd like to spend time with her."

3 - Today's assistant is tomorrow's power player. Be NICE to everyone!

True Story

I met an agent once, and he wasn’t particularly impressed with me. He called me into his office, I sang a song and did a monologue. He never called me again. I still sent him a postcard every four to six weeks for maybe two years. One day I got a call from the man who had been the receptionist when I had had that meeting. I didn't remember him, but apparently I had been NICE to him, and he heard me sing through the walls. He’d also been the one who received the mail every day, and he was keeping up-to-date with my career. He called me because he had gotten a promotion and was now a junior agent. He wanted to work with me! Thank goodness I have been sending cards.


4 - It is hard enough to stay focused at auditions! You don't want to be in the waiting room trying to concentrate with 20 actors, all feeling like the enemy. Say hello to people you recognize, be NICE, lighten the mood. It's not an audit. It's an audition.

5 - Be prepared to chat once you're in the audition. I know this, as a casting director. You always hope for some sort of minor social interaction beyond the audition material. Directors want to work with fun, NICE people. Always be willing to chat if the opportunity arises. (And then don't overstay your welcome.)

6 - All other times... just be NICE. You'll live longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment