Monday, September 26, 2011

Accountability


When I coach actors, I help them create a list of goals. We decide on deadlines. We talk about budgets.

  • Do you have the time to do it?
  • Do you have the money to do it?
  • Do you WANT to do it?

If the answer is yes - the goal is written down.
The client has the option of signing the list, and if they do - I promise to keep them accountable.

(Mostly I bug them by phone and email to make sure they do what they promised.)

Having coached for a few years now, it's become entirely clear that integrity is the problem for 90% of actors. By integrity, I mean wholeness. I mean doing what you say you're going to do.
People blame missed deadlines on money trouble, or work problems, or getting sick - but if you had real integrity - you'd get it done. You'd plan for problems. You'd finish things early.

I realize I sound a little bit soapboxy, but I bring this up today, because I noticed myself slipping on my goals. I have a few things I want to accomplish by the end of 2011, and I am way behind.

So - I'm blogging so that YOU ALL will keep me accountable.


Tips for getting things done through accountability:
  • •Thoroughly think out your goals before you commit
  • •Make a real budget. Find the money. Set it aside.
  • •Put office hours into your week, when you plan to accomplish your goals.
  • •WRITE YOUR GOALS DOWN.
  • •Give your goals to your manager, your agent, or your friend.
  • •Use google alerts to keep you on track. Memotome.com works too.
  • •Celebrate your success.

No comments:

Post a Comment