Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Coffee!


I gave myself a challenge. Coffee!

" Sit down with 3 actors who you respect and who are further along in their careers."

I have to admit, I'm proud of myself for doing this. I do consider myself an introvert, and the last thing in the world I want is for these people to think I want something from them. I decided to go in without an agenda. I didn't need to know what they did to become successful, I was more interested in how they were - how they looked at the business, and how they found a place in it.


#1
I had done a play with a wonderful actress in her 50s, who was poised and smart, and oozing talent. She's managed to continue acting for years, and still have a husband, a child, and a fascinating life. How did she do it?
We sat down and had coffee, and we just started sharing stories. She'd come from England after drama school, and landed in California with her husband. I mentioned that a ton of my contemporaries had moved to LA in the last few month, and we discussed the pros and cons.

Basically her take was: If you want to live in LA, live in LA. Don't go because of the work. Go because you want to LIVE there. If New York is more your style, stay in New York. For her it was a matter of lifestyle, and not work. Great advice. We always forget that we 90% of the time, we won't actually be working - so live where you want to live.

Chatting with her gave a great view of what a life can be for someone dedicated, who trusts that her instincts are always right. Go with the flow.

#2
This guy is about 10 years my senior, and has worked steadily without ever actually becoming famous. He's well-known, and well respected by his peers, but still unknown to the world. The big lesson I learned from him was "Treat yourself as if you're famous."

By this he meant, assume that everyone knows the level of talent you bring to any occasion. Assume that people know you deserve to be paid for your talent. Assume that people know you bring with you a level of professionalism.
When you work for free - you are being magnanimous.
When you work for money - you are doing the job you know how to do.

I've pondered this, and actually invoked this idea in the last few weeks - and yeah, he's right. My theory / sound-bite on this topic had been: "When you start asking for what you deserve, it will come to you." This takes it one step further. "I deserve a fulfilling career, that pays me well."

Interesting guy.

#3
Actually, she never responded to me email. Oh well - I guess she was too busy working.
I won't let it get me down.

This is a great exercise. You should try it. If you do, let me know how it goes!!!!

Guy

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I'm a smartphone game developer. My game "joy desk" is published already at iphone and android market.

    I've been searching for a picture of a cup of coffee for my new puzzle game.
    And I finally came to this blog.
    Is that picture taken by you? If so, can I use that picture for my new game..? Please give me an answer.

    ReplyDelete