Thursday, May 24, 2012

Gotham Writers' Workshop

This is 2012: The Year of Content, right?  I made a promise to myself to create something new: a web series, a pilot, a novel, a play.  When no one is creating projects to showcase you as an actor, you have to start creating them yourself!

I decided to take a screenwriting class.  And when I googled "screenwriting class nyc" I was lead to Gotham Writers' Workshop.  Then in a moment of serendipity, a Groupon for a one-day seminar at GWW arrived in my inbox, and I was ready to take the leap.



I just took the one-day screenplay seminar with Doug Katz, and I really loved it.  I'd just taken a pretty lackluster sketch writing class at The Peoples Improv Theatre, and I was sceptical, but this class was exactly what I wanted it to be.

In 7 hours, the teacher gave us literally every tool you need to write a screenplay.  Of course there is a lot of nuance still to learn, but now I know the structure, formulas that are proven to work, and I even got to pitch some ideas in class about what I want to write.  Every day since the class I've been coming up with new ideas, and I'm energized to write my first screenplay.

Next, I'm going to take a television writing class because I have a great idea for a pilot.

So, I give a hearty recommendation to Gotham Writers' Workshop.  Has anyone else gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment